Minutes for December 2, 2010

Minutes of the Plone Foundation Board of Directors

Calvin called us to order at 12am



Attending: Calvin, Jon, Steve, Mark, Geir, Matt (joined at 12:30pm)
Absent: Alex (excused)

Approve Minutes for November 18th, 2010 board meeting

Calvin moved approval; Mark seconded
Unanimously approved (Geir abstained)

Appoint advisory board members

Deferred to next meeting

Old business

Domain acquisition progress

Nothing new

Approval of standard boilerplate text about Plone and Plone Foundation for inclusion on all Plone press releases.

Mark presented text
Calvin moved, Geir seconded
Unanimously approved

Plone is a powerful, polished and user-friendly content management system used to manage thousands of websites around the world by a diverse group of large enterprises, small businesses, non-profits, universities and governments. Plone is among the top 2% of all open source projects worldwide, with over 300 core developers and more than 300 solution providers in 57 countries. The project has been actively developed since 2001, is available in more than 40 languages, is available for all major operating systems and has the best security track record of any major CMS. The Plone® CMS/WCM is owned and © 2000–2010 the Plone Foundation - a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Plone® and the Plone logo are registered trademarks of the Plone Foundation.  To find out more about Plone, visit our website - plone.org - or see an online demo at demo.plone.org.

plone.net status check

Jon and Matt are working on this; Question: what content of plone.net belongs on Plone.org? Should they be separate? Jon proposed e-mail discussion on most basic policy points.

Creation of events calendar for foundation-sponsored events

Nothing since last meeting

Guidelines for hosting User Group websites on Plone.org

Nothing since last meeting

Set Plone tuneup awards limits

Steve moved to budget $1,500 for incentives for Plone tune-up
Geir seconded
Unanimously approved

New business

Committers/contributor agreement auditing  (how can we make sure all committers have signed the agreement? Is our process solid enough?)

Geir: we need to develop a list of who’s signed, so that we can do validation
Geir noted that there’s no reason to believe there’s a problem. This is just an idea to sanity check going forward.
Toby has agreed to work on the list, which may become a spreadsheet
Geir proposed auditing against the committer rights approximately once a year.
Jon will take lead; Steve will provide programming support.

Geir will raise with SFLC the question of patches and contributor agreements

IMS / Online Information 2010 Funding Request

$1,500 request from Netsight
Calvin moved approval; Mark seconded
Unanimously approved (Matt abstained)

Plone.org Data.fs Sharing

General agreement that the data is not extremely sensitive, but that the foundation section should be extracted from anything shared.

Plone roadmap

Steve will check on timetable for a 3.3.6.
Mark spoke of the need for a Plone 5 roadmap; saying he's concerned that there may be a perception that Plone developers are out of touch with the needs of users. Right now, Mark said, we’ve just a vague list of technologies and that this needs to be much more marketable and have real timetables. Mark asked if he could organize a roadmap by talking to key people to get information out of them and push to develop specifications and a timetable. Steve  expressed concern that this might be pushing too hard, too fast and that Plone 5 is at too early a level of development. Calvin said what Mark wanted was a good plan and that he should go forward.

No formal action

Adjourned at 1pm.