Peter Jacobs: Implementing Plone at a university: status after one year
A talk at Plone Symposium East 2009. Track B, 1:30pm, May 28.
link to video
At the Catholic University Leuven (Belgium) hundreds of websites have been made during the last decade, most of them with Dreamweaver and PHP. Last year the central IT service started the Plone WebCMS project to provide university members with an easy, secure and reliable service to put their information online. Although our team (3 FTE+sysadmins) had no prior experience with Plone or Python, we have made good progress in a short time, thanks to the powerful Plone/Zope architecture and the help of expert Plone consultants.
In this talk, I will:
- give an overview of the web content management needs of our university
- show the relationship with other university services: SAP administrative backend, groupware, Web 2.0 collaborative tools, Blackboard LMS, central authentication and authorisation infrastructure
- show our solution for managing subsites and delegation of manager role
- summarize the technical infrastructure we are deploying
- list the custom content types we have made and want to make
- talk about testing, content migration, performance/caching
See Also: Symposium Talks | Main symposium page | Training | Sprints | Birds of a Feather