Plone Foundation Board Minutes November 21, 2019
Meeting called to order at 20:02pm UTC
Present:Paul Roeland, Chrissy Wainwright, Erico Andrei, Victor Fernandez de Alba, Fulvio Casali, Jens Klein, Andy Leeb
Approval of the minutes of annual meeting
Erico moved to approve, Victor seconded
Approval of the minutes of Nov 7, 2019
Victor moved to approve, Erico seconded
- Andy will reformat minutes of annual meeting before sending out
Funding request from Timo on Nov 17 for a sprint in Bonn
- Asking for 1500 Euro which is more than our guideline amount of 1500 USD for a small strategic sprint
- Framework team needs to declare it strategic. Next framework team meeting is next week.
- We will approve 1500 USD for now
- Paul motioned to approve 1500 USD for Bonn no name sprint, Erico seconded, Victor abstained
- Paul will follow up with Timo
Plone and Zope domains
- No new action from the board is required
- Will need to transfer them to the foundation but is not urgent.
- Erico will talk to Stefan to eventually transfer to our DNS and ownership is transferred to Foundation. They can keep hosting.
- Regional ambassadors have been active in various degrees
- Paul suggested that maybe we have topical ambassadors since board does not have e.g university representation, local government
- Erico maintains that we do need regional ambassadors, maybe keep current ones
- Executive Session
Discussion of Priorities
- Started last meeting, anything new?
Erico is updating the membership team, almost everyone is back. Hoping to have 2 places for Zope, 1 Guillotina
- Jens may know some candidates for Zope representation on membership team
- Former Zope foundation members - agenda item for next meeting or one after
- Paul postponed discussion with Matthew Wilkes
Too many teams on plone.org, Paul belongs to many of them
- Some teams are now defunct and could be cleaned up
- Biweekly meetings for teams, especially marketing. Would need to state up front to volunteers what the commitment is. Consistent meetings would provide accountability.
Priority - teams: clean up defunct, merge where possible
- Is a big job, would need proposal/plan
- Victor suggests to have team leads meet to discuss what they are doing
- Chrissy may start looking at teams and contacting team leads.
- Paul suggested to contact Eric Steele to see if he's still contacts team leads
- Is Guillotina interested in having a team? Andy will contact
- Re organizing/adding teams to be less Plone centric
- Currently MIT. All other JS frameworks use this.
- Plone foundation does not specifically mention MIT. Very close to BSD, but MIT is well known.
- Backend should remain GPL, but Volto/Frontend code can have MIT. Specific packages do have their own licensing in some cases
- Possibly make all JS MIT
- Discussion of GPL merits/drawbacks and how it effects the way people work with our code. GPL vs MIT/BSD
- Paul will send out a licensing proposal to board members before next meeting - it will only address specific circumstances exceptions, not a sweeping change
- Zope integration - nothing new here
- Chrissy signed up for a booth Pycon
- Framework team meeting last week - PLIPs and Plone 6
Fulvio - PLOG update event in calendar. deciding on training topics and schedules, Sally is coordinating.
- Paul - proposal for support will be available next meeting, smaller strategic sprint, get trainers free housing
- AI sprint - end of Jan, address some infrastructure issues, move to Ansible for setup,
- Erico mentioned the possibility of a micro documentation sprint with Sven
- Paul is expecting EuroPython to open a booth for us. EuroPython is in Ireland this year.
- FOSDEM 2020? Are we going - competition is fierce for rooms, we're probably not going to get it. Perhaps we can do something in parallel, meetup or something.
Paul moved to adjourn, Erico seconded
Meeting adjourned at 21:38 UTC