Minutes for February 4, 2016

Meeting called to order at 21:04 UTC



Present: Alexander Loechel, Paul Roeland, Chrissy Wainwright, Víctor Fernández de Alba, Kim Nguyen, Carol Ganz
Absent: Philip Bauer (excused)

Approval of the minutes of January 21

Alexander moved to approve, Paul seconded
Carol abstained
Unanimously approved

Action Items

  • Alexander replied to Falk Jaresch, has not heard back

Incoming Correspondence

  • A possible trademark infringement was brought to our attention for http://www.plone.co.kr. We do not hold a trademark in Korea, and the url is part of their name (Play One), so it does not appear to be malicious intent or misleading the public. Paul will ask Nutter (our trademark lawyers) if there is anything we can do, and send a message to Manabu to see if there is much Plone activity in Korea

Upcoming Sprints

  • Barcelona (invitation only) Sprint will be on the Plone REST API, and future of Plone.
  • plone.org needs a sprint, possibly looking at Penn State as a location.

New Business


  • Request from Steve McMahon to license Ansible kits under a modified BSD license (for reasons noted below). Alexander moved to approve, Victor seconded, Unanimously approved. Paul will respond to Steve.
  1. They are not part of Plone, the product, and it's very hard to imagine how they might become so.
  2. The are involved with a community that largely uses more permissive licensing;
  3. Parts are highly re-useable outside the Plone project.
  4. They have no dependencies on GPL code.
  5. Development and maintenance has been by a comparatively small group who would have no problem preventing merges with GPL code.
  6. There have been expressions of interest in using part of the code in non-GPL projects.
  • Other licensing issues: Paul has been coordinating with Eric and legal people on the Zope forks. Eric has summarized in an outline of what we need to do.  Paul is waiting for a response from Free Software Foundation Europe on how to proceed. They will be sending requests for specific re-licensing in the coming weeks. Nothing to vote on at this time.
  • Google Summer of Code 2016 Submissions are due Feb 8-21. A big thank you to Matthew Wilkes for taking care of submitting a request and heading up the efforts. Python Software Foundation offered that we could submit a project as a sub-organization if we do not get in as our own organization.


Continued Business


  • PyCon Prep == executive session == Looking to have a good Plone presence
  • Budget 2016 - Paul and Carol will coordinate on it next week
  • Plone.org status - There will be an online sprint next Friday (February 12). GitHub authentication plugin needs to be fixed. Victor will organize issues into priority.


Review Ongoing

  • Alexander mentioned sprint has been proposed in Munich for Plone/Zope's Python 3 compatibility, and updating restricted Python
  • Plone Conference - they are working with Armin on a design. The website is running, but needs content and design. ploneconf.org. Next step is to reach out to potential sponsors. They will also be pushing for more than just developers to attend.

Alexander moved to adjourn, Chrissy seconded
Unanimously approved

Meeting adjourned at 22:12 UTC