Minutes, November 20, 2008

Plone Foundation Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Plone Foundation Board of Directors

Jon called the  meeting to order at 12:04 PST

Present: Jon, Steve, Alex, Matt, Geir, Nate
Absent: Darci (excused)

Agenda approved by consensus

Minutes for November 13, 2008

Jon moved to approve
Alex seconded
Unanimous approval

Two-minute Updates

2009 Conference selection process (Jon)

Voting and discussion open.
Plan to decide by Dec 12th.

Plone.org hosting proposal (Geir)

Plan to resume correspondence tomorrow.

Nonprofit Software Development Summit report (Nate)

Nate attended last week in Oakland, CA.
105 attendees from all around the world. Very collaborative and inclusive.
Nate and Rob Patterson represented Plone.
Plone’s visibility in this community is not great. Reputation is powerful, but difficult to find hosting.

Meat and Potatoes

Advisory board (Geir, Jon) (5 minutes)

Jon moved that we appoint Joel Burton and Roberto Allende as advisory board members with a term that will be linked to our terms.
Geir seconded
Passed unanimously
Jon will notify
Steve and Jon will work on announcement.

Attendance Policy Resolution (Jon) (5 minutes)

Jon presented the resolution text:



The Plone Foundation board of directors does much of its work and nearly all of its decisionmaking via teleconference.  Meetings are typically

held biweekly, with additional meetings scheduled during periods of high workloads.

Missed meetings seriously diminish the effectiveness of the entire board, and thus of the Foundation.  The Plone Foundation board of directors therefore developed this written policy in order to set a clear shared expectation for meeting attendance that we will hold ourselves accountable to (and ask the Plone Foundation membership to hold us accountable to as well!)

    * Plone Foundation board members are expected to attend at least 75% of all regularly scheduled meetings.  Board members are expected to defend regular meeting times in their personal calendars, and to avoid scheduling other meetings during that time.

    * Board members occasionally miss meetings due to circumstances beyond their control such as illness, travel schedules, jury duty, or holidays.  These will generally be considered "excused" absences.  In all cases, board members are expected to notify the board of meetings they know they will miss.  "Silent failure" (i.e. missing a meeting without notification) is unacceptable.

    * In order to make the board more accountable internally and to the Plone community, we will institute the following "transparency" measures:

        * All minutes (with attendance, and excused/unexcused absences) will be sent via email to membership by the Secretary.
        * Repeatedly absent board members will be noted in the meeting minutes
        * Board attendance percentage will be reported when board members stand for re-election (e.g. Jon attended 95% of scheduled meetings this year)
        * We will maintain a public, year-to-date summary of board member attendance on the Foundation website so that Foundation members can check in on our attendance.

Geir moved adoption of the resolution
Steve seconded
Passed unanimously

PloneGov update

Jon moved we adjourn into exec session to consider developments in the PloneGov domain dispute/
Geir seconded, unanimously approved

Adjourned to executive session at 12:25
Return from executive session at 12:33. No actions or motions.

Reforming a Bylaws Committee (Steve)

Jon and Steve will work as an informal bylaws committee, occasionally bringing suggestions for bylaw changes to the board.

Marketing Committee Reboot (Nate)

We agreed to discuss this in e-mail before having a board discussion.

New Business

Logo Usage Policy

Geir: logo usage policy discussion needs to be resumed. Nate and Matt are working on this. Goal: IP Committee should have a policy proposal for their advice by end of December. Geir noted that he’s still interested in a light-weight process for usage approval.
No formal action, but generally positive discussion.

Next Meeting: December 4, same time.

We plan to meet Dec 11th, and not again ‘til January 8th, 2009.

Adjourn at 12:50pm.