On The Road to Plone 6 - Plone REST API 7 and Volto 12 Released
A continuous effort to move things towards Plone 6 with major updates to Volto and Plone REST API.
Here are two important releases on the road to Plone 6:
- Plone REST API 7 introduces a new link-integrity feature for blocks-based pages.
- Volto 12 improves the add-on ecosystem by introducing a new configuration registry to avoid circular dependencies.
This is a short version of a full blog post at Kitconcept site.
Plone REST API 7
Keeping links within a website intact is one of the core features of any Content Management System. In Plone, editors can copy and move single pages as well as large content trees without breaking internal links to other parts of the site. This is accomplished by using unique IDs (UUIDs) instead of relative or absolute paths when adding a link to another page.
Volto introduces blocks-based page layouts that store a JSON structure internally instead of HTML. This more structured way of storing page content and layout information allows more complex page layouts. Though, because of this change, the existing portal-transforms mechanism that rewrites links to UUIDs did not work any longer.
Many participants joined to improve this feature in a community-wide effort:
- Werkbank, a Plone agency from Bochum, Germany, stepped up to sponsor the development of link integrity in 2020
- Timo Stollenwerk from Kitconcept started to draft a possible solution and wrote the first prototype
- Thomas Buchenberger from 4teamwork picked up that work at the Plone Conference sprint in Ferrara, Italy
- Andrea Cecchi from RedTurtle joined the effort and refactored the resolveUID algorithm into a blocks transformer that made the resolveUID transformer more generic and flexible
- After that, a first plone.restapi 7 alpha was released and entered a period of quality assurance and testing
After the first alpha release, the ResolveUID transformation was added to links and images. In addition, plone.restapi 7 comes with a new blocks serialization mechanism and an important fix that makes sure files are opened directly by Plone for anonymous users.
Additionally, a "smart fields" concept allows integrators to mark a blocks field as searchableText.
Also, a new @contextnavigation endpoint was added that allows for local navigations.
Plone REST API 7 was included in Plone 5.2.4 release.
A new Volto configuration registry is the new central point to store and retrieve Volto configurations. The configuration registry ensures a setting only exists once.
Volto is the new React front end for Plone, communicating with the back end through the RestAPI.
Road to Plone 6
Plone REST API 7 and Volto 12 are two very important releases on the road to Plone 6. Next will come another Plone REST API 8 branch and release for Plone 6 supporting Python 3 only.
Volto will continue to move at a very high pace towards Plone 6. A series of Plone 6 “Micro-Sprints” will be organized to push things further.
Check out the Volto Roadmap on Github for more details.