Plone 6.0.0a1 Alpha Is Here!
Plone 6.0.0a1 is the first alpha release of Plone 6.0.
Plone community proudly presents the first alpha release of Plone 6 - feel free to try it out!
Some Highlights of the Alpha Release
- The backend is now called Plone Classic. It generally works the same as Plone 5.2, so if you are not ready for Volto yet, you can just use this.
- Support only for Python 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9.
- Zope 5.3
- Extensive overhaul of Plone UI elements based on Bootstrap 5 components.
- Barceloneta LTS theme
- Add control panel for relations
- Add plone.api.relation module to ease using relations.
- Use Dexterity for the Plone Site root object.
Plone 6 Uses the Latest Web Technologies
The Plone 6 user experience has been redesigned from scratch to be awesome for power users and occasional users alike. It's easy to create adaptive layouts using a flexible and powerful blocks system built from the latest web technologies. There's no need for in-depth knowledge of how the web works or how the page will look on thousands of different devices - editors can split individual blocks into multi-column content that will automatically adapt to any device. Building complex, responsive pages with Plone 6 is effortless.
The blocks system is not limited to rich text. It will come with a faceted search block that allows editors to easily create sophisticated searches that make use of content metadata. Other blocks can present collections of content dynamically generated from a search. Plone has always included search, now the blocks system allows the search to be harnessed in new ways.
Form Builder, No-Code Content Types, Rich Ecosystem
Plone 6 also includes:
- A powerful form builder. Editors can create forms via drag and drop and define actions such as sending form data via email or storing it in CSV format for later use;
- No-code custom content types that can be created through the web, including metadata fields, behaviors and view templates;
- A rich ecosystem with more than 100 add-ons, even before it has been launched; an active and enthusiastic community of developers and companies is creating new add-ons every day.
Try Plone 6 and learn more at the Plone Conference 2021 Online
- Try Plone 6 at https://plone.org/what-is-plone/plone/try-plone
- Install the Plone 6 Alpha at https://plone.org/download/releases/6.0.0a1
- Learn more about Plone 6 at Plone Conference 2021 Online starting October 23rd - Get your tickets at https://2021.ploneconf.org/