Practical Plone 3 Hits the Shelves
The long-awaited introductory-level book for Plone 3, "Practical Plone 3," has been released — order your copy today!
Many Plone community members (including the authors!) have been eagerly awaiting the release of Practical Plone 3: A Beginner's Guide to Building Powerful Websites. The wait is over; Practical Plone 3 is now shipping!
Practical Plone 3 is the first Plone 3 book targted specifically at beginning Plone site builders. Practical Plone 3 weighs in at over 550 pages and includes 21 chapters that cover all major aspects of installing Plone, building a site, customizing it, and putting it into production.
Practical Plone 3, like Plone itself, was a team effort, led by editors Martin Aspeli and Veda Williams. An all-star cast of Plone community members contributed chapters, including: Matt Bowen, Alex Clark, Tom Conklin, David Convent, John DeStefano, Darci Hanning, Sam Knox, Steve McMahon, Ricardo Newbery, Clayton Parker, Jon Stahl and Veda Williams.
Here's the complete table of contents:
Part 1 — Background
1. Introducing Plone
2. Installing Plone
3. A Brief Tour of Plone
Part 2 — I want to…
4. Create Web Pages
5. Add News Items, Events, Links, and Files
6. Structure the Content in My Site
7. Safely Manage Different Versions of Content
8. Delegate Content Management to Other People
9. Manage Approvals and Other Workflow for My Content
10. Show Additional Information to Users and Visitors
11. Automate Tasks with Content Rules
12. Control My Site's Configuration
Part 3 — Now that I've got the basics, I'd like to learn how to…
13. Set up a Repeatable Environment using Buildout
14. Find and Install Add-ons That Expand Plone Functionality
15. Build Forms
16. Create New Content Type
17. Customize Plone
18. Change the Look and Feel
Part 4 — My boss wants me to…
19. Take My Site Live
20. Make It Go Faster
21. Connect to Your LDAP/Active Directory Repository
Sound good? Order Practical Plone 3 now!
Also worth noting:
- Hard copy and e-book editions are available, along with various multi-copy and bundled discounts.
- All royalties from Practical Plone 3 will benefit the Plone Foundation.
- 2009 will be a big year for Plone books; keep an eye out for "Theming Plone 3" by Veda Williams in spring 2009 and a book on Plone system administration by Alex Clark later in 2009!