Agenda, Apr 20 2006
Meeting time: 08:00 AM Pacific time
1) Do we have minutes from the New Orleans meeting?
2) Approve agenda.
3) Officer reports.
4) Committee reports (below).
5) Old business (below).
6) New business (below).
7) Review newly-discussed action items.
8) Set time for next meeting.
Report during meeting.
Report during meeting.
Report during meeting.
Toby sent the board a status report on April 18 (sent to board on April 20). Highlights:
- Bank accounts migrated, Toby and Paul are signers
- Most non-sensitive info uploaded to Collective, including scanned contrib agreements
- Filed 2005 taxes and paid $600+ tax prep fee
- Will know in 2-3 weeks if pre-Toby 2004 tax penalty is waived
- Worked with SFLC to finish 501c3 form, awaiting Joel signature
- Attached financials (to email)
Hanno gave a report with input from Godefroid.
- As noted under New Business, a request to hold off on voting in last proposed slate, as these weren't judged by the board's membership guidelines.
- Hanno will rewrite the guidelines with Paul providing review and guidance on "original intent" then submit to board.
- After this clarification, restart the processing of incoming applications.
- Hanno also fixed plone.org which was broken for incoming applications and a dead link to a bogus form.
- Hanno will also plan for a membership renewal process via workflow this autumn, including emeritus workflow status. Godefroid pointed out that renewal must follow approval of new guidelines.
Andrew Hatton gave a report on behalf of the committee (which includes Jodok and Xavier):
- Alex provided a list of Plone domains
- Action item about domains listed under New Business
- Issue raised about use of Plone name in a commercial project. Andrew approached the company who agreed to rename the product. A domain was also used to push the company. A request to change the domain has yet to be complied with.
- This is also true of another firm that Andrew pinged with to no avail. Paul has offered to add some influence.
- Does the foundation need to have an established address in Europe? A condition for registering domain name in Europe (at least in some countries - like Italy) is to have an effective seat in Europe. (Effective means: telephone number, legal address and a representative that can sign papers).
- How much effort should we put into chasing the “url” infringements? I see these as less serious than clear infringements of the Plone name itself. Do we need to get our legal team involved?
Jackie had to deal with a non-work emergency situation which is now resolved. Her next steps:
- Get with Paul to find status on projects
- Connect with AlecM on timing for release marketing
- Email a plan of action (nee, a plone of action [wink]) to the Plone marketing list
Munwar and Paul agreed that fundraising should join with plone.net, as attempts to stir interest on general fundraising aren't working. Motion: Close fundraising committee and join plone.net as Plone Foundation sponsorship. Munwar and Paul are in discussion to give the board a proposal.
Ad hoc group: Funding Press Releases
This group is now closed, as its business has concluded.
Aka the "It only looks dead" project. Paul spent 3 IRC days a month ago working with David Bain to take over the reports. Paul and David resumed last week and this week. Jean Jordan has also volunteered to help. Limi has picked up some UI issues as well. Prior to that, Abstract Edge generously provided an HTML design which Alex converted into a skin (and a tutorial). Joel was extremely helpful in making all the content types and software. Alas, we have an equal number of volunteers that don't answer mail.
Current status: It is ok for collecting data, but not ok for showing data. Thus, kind of an awkward, in-between situation.
Next milestone: I cleaned up the Trac this week and made an M3, slated for next Tuesday. The list of issues is organized by critical (none currently), meaning it prevents the software from working, major (meaning it will disgust the target audience), and minor (we can live without it). Each person with assigned issues is expected to either finish them for the M3 date or let me know.
Coming up...Munwar and Paul are going to make a proposal for how revenue generation will work.
- (Munwar) Plone Fundraising idea - "Plone Foundation Sponsor Members". Shall
we invite members for $2000+ per year sponsorship? I already sent you
all a detailed mail about this earlier (referring to Python Software
- (Munwar) Define scope of activities for "Fundraising committee". What should
we do and most important what we should never do.
- (Alex) Get the board's blessing to spend some money to promote Plone at the Boston LinuxWorld (Nate has already volunteered to head up the organization for it) - LinuxWorld Boston is over, but we should talk about LinuxWorld SF.
- (Paul) Motion to improve efficiency with Toby by giving Paul signature authority.
- (Paul) Discuss Plone conference situation.
- (Munwar) Status report on plone.net. (Complete: see note above)
- (Paul) plone.org Amaze logo discussion and vote.
- (Alex) Google's Summer of Code sponsorships.
- (Alex) Planning for representing Plone at conferences.
- (Paul) Retract slate of proposed members.
- (Geoff) Update on zope.org discussion. On Apr 19 Geoff sent the board a note with the status on the zope.org discussions. He is looking for help on how to contact the Zope Foundation for guidance.
- (Munwar) Vote to close fundraising committee.
(Andrew Hatton) Do we want to have a “core” of domains managed centrally by the Foundation, eg:
...and then the rest managed by volunteers within the countries. Or do we want all top level country domains also managed centrally. If we want to manage them centrally, then we need to approve an agency to help us do this. I think this would cost approx 1k per annum, to manage the complete list of domains.
- (Andrew Hatton) Motion: "Agreement to pay expenses (approx $1K for registration of Plone as a trademark in China) to Zea. Xavier expects the final registration bill to be at least this. We need to be prepared for the registration to fail, and thus for the costs to be sunk. Hopefully this won't happen, but it's a possibility. The trademark committee recommendation is to proceed and pay the expense.