Quickly remove lots of spam comments from your Plone Site
You have enabled commenting in your Plone Site. Now you wake up and see that during the night some spammer has added 1337 comments in your site. What do you do now? Sure, you first shoot him and then you integrate some captcha solution, but you still have those 1337 comments. You do not want to click 1337 times on a delete button. Have no fear: zest.commentcleanup will rescue you! Or at least it will help you get rid of those spam comments faster.
How does it work?
Just add zest.commentcleanup to the eggs parameter of the instance section of your buildout.cfg. On Plone 3.2 or earlier add it to the zcml parameter as well.
The package simply works by registering some browser views. Start your instance, go to the root of your site and add /@@cleanup-comments-overview to the url. This will give you an overview of which items in your site have comments. It is sorted so the item with the most comments is at the top.
Note that the overview works on other contexts as well, for example on a folder.
In the overview click on the manage link of an item with comments. This takes you to the cleanup-comments-details page of that item. This lists all comments, ordered by creation date. From there you can delete single items.
But the biggest thing you can do there is: select a comment and delete this and all following comments. The idea is that the first three comments may be valid comments, then there are a gazillion spam comments, and very likely no actual human has added a valid comment somewhere in that spam flood anymore. So you keep the first few comments and delete the rest without having to buy a new mouse because you have clicked too much.
From the overview page you can also go to the @@cleanup-comments-list page. Here you see the latest comments, which you can remove one at a time. This is handier when you have done the big cleanup already and only need to check the new comments of the last few days.
All the used views are only available if you have the Manage portal permission.
This has been tested on Plone 3.3.5 with the standard comments. It might or might not work with packages like quintagroup.plonecomments or plone.app.discussion. It probably works on Plone 2.5 and 4 as well, but I have not checked. Hey, it might even work in a default CMF site.
- Support plone.app.discussion. [maurits]
- Moved to github. [maurits]
- Also catch AttributeError in @@find-catalog-comments, which may happen for objects in portal_skins/custom. [maurits]
- Moved the remove-buttons more the the left, so they do not hop around after deleting an item with a long title, or that causes a new long title to appear. [maurits]
- On the overview page offer to also index comments in objects that currently do not allow comments but may have done so in the past. [maurits]
- When switching comments off for an object, uncatalog its existing comments. [maurits]
- When turning comments on for an object, catalog its possibly already existing comments, when needed. [maurits]
- On the details page, also show number of actual comments, instead of only the comments in the catalog. [maurits]
- Added @@find-catalog-comments page (linked from the overview page) that finds and catalogs all comments for objects that currently allow commenting. This is needed after a clear and rebuild of the portal_catalog, as the catalog then loses all info about comments. [maurits]
- Sort the cleanup-comments-list on creation date. [maurits]
- Handle redirection in the same way everywhere, so you also get to the same batched page using a came_from parameter. [maurits]
- Added '@@cleanup-comments-list' page that lists the latest comments. [maurits]
- Initial release
Released May 13, 2013 — tested with Plone 4.1, Plone 4.2
- Get zest.commentcleanup for all platforms
- If you are using Plone 3.2 or higher, you probably want to install this product with buildout. See our tutorial on installing add-on products with buildout for more information.
|1.6||May 13, 2013||More about this release…||
|1.5||Sep 12, 2012||Moved to github. More about this release…||
|1.4||Jan 26, 2011||More about this release…||GPL||final|
|1.3||Jan 26, 2011||More about this release…||GPL||final|
|1.2||Jan 04, 2011||More about this release…||GPL||final|
|1.1||Jan 04, 2011||More about this release…||GPL||final|
|1.0||Jul 19, 2012||Initial release More about this release…||