An extension of Plone's built-in Document/Page content type which supports attachments, directly uploaded images and automatic image previews.
by Martin Aspeli
RichDocument is a document type which provies the same fields as the standard Plone Document/Page type, but allows users to upload images directly into the document during editing.
A RichDocument is a folderish type with Image and File as the only permitted contained types. Two special widgets for managing contained images and attachments are provided near the bottomf of the edit form, though you have to expand a collapsed fieldset to see them.
Once uploaded, images and attachments can be referenced in the document's body text or inserted using editors such as kupu.
In addition, the user can optionally either automatically float the topmost uploaded image at the top left of the page, or display a box of thumbnails floating at the right of the page, on which the viewer can click to open the full-size image in a pop-up window. This is achieved using the Plone 2.1 "display" menu.
RichDocument is released under the GNU General Public Licence, version 2. Please see http://gnu.org for more details.
Install in the usual way, using the QuickInstaller.
The ImagesManagerWidget was originally created for km|portal, a knowledge management system aimed at small businesses (c) 2004 Martin Aspeli.
Known Issues and Potential Improvements
- The user interface is not internationalised. Patches to provide i18n keys and translations welcome!
- It's not possible to upload images while the object is still in the portal_factory. If the object is in the factory while it is being edited for the first time and the user uploads an image, it will be instantiated into the target folder first.
- The image and attachment controls are submit buttons, managed via PortalFormController with custom actions registered during the installation. However, this button comes before the Save button on the form, and thus may steal the default button status - if the user presses Enter in the form, they may get a (benevolent) portal error message telling them they must upload an image.
- The only re-ordering support provided directly by the manager widgets is "move to top". This is useful in support of the single-image preview mode or to make an attachment in the attachments download box stand out, but more detailed re-ordering functionality may be desirable.
Released Oct 28, 2011
- Get RichDocument for all platforms
- If you are using Plone 3.2 or higher, you probably want to install this product with buildout. See our tutorial on installing add-on products with buildout for more information.
|richdocument-3.3||Oct 28, 2011||More about this release…||GPL||final|
|richdocument-3.2||Apr 28, 2010||fixed installation borking when Simple Attachment dependency was installing. More about this release…||
|3.0.1||Sep 28, 2007||A bugfix release for Plone 3 More about this release…||
|3.0||Jul 31, 2007||This version is a straight port of the 2.0 code to work with Plone 3.0. Note that attachment support now depends on the third-party SimpleAttachment product. More about this release…||
|2.0||Sep 26, 2007||RichDocument 2.0 targets Plone 2.1 and 2.5, and demonstrates several of Plone 2.1's new content type paradigms. More about this release…||
|1.0||Release 1.0 beta 3 supports Plone 2.0.5, but does not include attachments. More about this release…||