Plone 3 release manager Wichert Akkerman has tagged the first beta release of Plone 3.3. It's time to test! Wichert's anticipating a short beta cycle, so don't wait.
If you've already got a Plone 3.2 installation, you may test 3.3b1 by just changing your buildout configuration's version extend specification from:
extends = http://dist.plone.org/release/3.2.x/versions.cfg
extends = http://dist.plone.org/release/3.3b1/versions.cfg
and running buildout. This is a beta, so make sure this is a test instance.
Unified and OS X installers are also available at on the 3.3 release page.
As with previous Plone 3+ releases, this release is expected to have a high degree of compatibility with other 3.x releases. No add-ons should break.
Improvements in Plone 3.3 include:
- Link type should automatically redirect when accessed directly
- Links should be capable of doing automatic redirection.
- Resource Registries Improvements
- Allow Resource Registries to use conditional comments for CSS to bring the IEFixes.css into the registry and allow external references to resources for all registries.
- Standardizing our use of INavigationRoot
- Plone has the INavigationRoot marker interface which supports rooting your tabs, navigation, breadcrumbs, sitemaps and searches to a specific container inside of a portal which itself is a INavigationRoot. Some areas of this need to be cleaned up and standardized to follow a consistent convention.
- Minor i18n upgrades
- Include PloneLanguageTool 3.0 and PTS 1.5.
- Disable inline editing by default
- The current inline editing behaviour as introduced in Plone 3 was a mistake: it is a cool technology to show off, but in practice accidental clicks very frequently lead to unwanted edit-screens.
- Adapterise the Extensible Indexable Object Wrapper
- Make it easier to register ExtensibleIndexableObjectWrapper attributes with adapters
- Improve locking configurability
- This PLIP proposes to a) make it harder to accidentally leave content items in a locked state, and b) make it easier to adjust the lock timeout or disable locking entirely.
- Clean up auto-sort, auto-order code
- Clean up, i.e. remove all code related to auto-sorting / auto-ordering folder contents as this feature was implemented for Plone 2.1, but never got enabled. Basically this proposes to revert http://plone.org/products/atcontenttypes/roadmap/3
- Replace workflow history viewlet with content history viewlet
- Plone stores both workflow history and versioning history for objects. Only workflow history is shown in a viewlet in current Plone versions. I propose to show all history data.
- View for rendering events as an iCalendar file
- Make it possible to subscribe to Plone events in the standard iCalendar format.
- Automate ZCML Loading for Plone Plug-ins
- Enable automatic plugins for Plone with z3c.autoinclude