Plone comes home
The Brazilian Government is one of the biggest users of Plone with large portals like www.brasil.gov.br, www.camara.gov.br and www.tse.jus.br. A large part of the Brazilian Plone community lives or works in Brasilia and it was a natural move to host Plone Symposium South America there.
Organized by the PloneGovBr group and hosted by Interlegis, from August 22nd to 24th, followed by the Caipirinha Sprint on August 25th and 26th, the Plone Symposium South America had its fourth edition with Elizabeth Leddy and Nejc Zupan as keynotes.
Plone Symposium by numbers
This was the biggest Plone Symposium South America so far:
- 243 registered attendees
- 21 Talks
- 6 Training sessions
- 24 speakers from 5 countries (Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico, Slovenia and USA)
- 18 Plone contributor agreements signed
- 3 cover stories on Jornal do Senado (August, 23th, August, 24th and August 27th)
All talks were streamed live (with a peak of 100 simultaneous users) and videos will soon be available on the symposium site.
The Caipirinha Sprint gathered more than 20 people during the weekend and some achievements were:
- plone.api and PloneIDE improvements
- Kick off for the plone.api.json
- Internationalization of buildout.coredev docs (Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish)
- The Plone TODO Tutorial is almost finished
- Bug fixes on plone.app.collection
Also, it is worth mentioning that 6 people contributed code for the first time to Plone core. Some of them were long time Plonistas but never had the opportunity to move from the collective to the core.
Elizabeth Leddy wrote a blog post about the first day of the sprint, you can read it here.
Most of the pictures were posted on Instangram and Twitter under #plonesymposium but the organizers of V Engitec compiled albums for each one of the Plone Symposium days:
The organization team for the Plone Symposium South America would like to thank the sponsors:
- Plone Foundation: Airplane tickets for Elizabeth Leddy and Nejc Zupan to come to Brazil
- Tv1.Com: Airplane tickets from Argentina to Brazil for Franco Pellegrini and Juan Pablo Gimenez, also airplane tickets for Elizabeth Leddy and Nejc Zupan from São Paulo to Brasilia.
- PyTown: Airplane tickets from Argentina to Brazil for Emanual Sartor.
- Simples Consultoria: Hotel accommodations for for Elizabeth Leddy and Nejc Zupan in São Paulo.
- Senado Federal: Hotel accommodations for for Elizabeth Leddy, Fabiano Weimar and Nejc Zupan in Brasilia and airplane tickets for Fabiano Weimar.
The Interlegis Program was the result of a desire to bring together in a single community all of Brazil’s federal, state and local legislative bodies, aiming at their modernization, to enable them to improve their administrative and legislative procedures.