#173: OpenID support
Add support for the OpenID decentralized identify system to Plone
- Proposed by
- Wichert Akkerman
- Seconded by
- Alexander Limi
- Proposal type
- User interface, Architecture
- Assigned to release
- Repository branch
More and more websites require you to have an account in order to use them. This is true for commercial sites but also for most sites which feature some form of interactivity such as leaving comments on blog posts. Since having to register accounts in dozens of sites and having to login to every one of them is a somewhat mind-numbing experience it would be very practical to use a shared authentication service.
OpenID implements such a service: once you have an account there you only need to sign on once and all OpenID-enabled sites will automatically pick up your identify and be able to use that.
- A set of PAS plugins need to be written which implement the OpenID protocol.
- a Plone configlet to configure the OpenID connection
In order to comply with the OpenID code bounty a couple of further changes are required:
- the login pages need to be modified to show an OpenID logo
- the login pages need to be modified to have a "What is OpenID" explanatory text
The implementation will be done in the form of two packages: a package with the PAS plugins and a package with the Plone integration.
The OpenID packages introduce extra dependencies: the openid, urljr and yadis packages packages from OpenID are needed as well as elementtree.