Provide some additional Open Graph meta tag to your Plone site, so share items on Facebook will be simpler
Add new meta tags to you Plone site, for better controlling how your items are shared on Facebook.
Table of contents
Are you commonly sharing contents from your Plone site or a site page to a Facebook account?
When you use the nice Facebook sharing interface, you have a simple way to customize additional data for the item that will be published (mainly: choose a proper image from the remote page). However when trying to do this automatically (e.g: you are publishing the link in a Twitter account that also feed a Facebook page) Facebook is choosing an image for you... and often this is not the image you want.
How can you solve this? In general you can provide some additional meta tag information using Open Graph standard, customizing many aspect of the way of sharing contents on Facebook.
Installing collective.fbshare product and add some additional meta tags in the head section of your site.
When sharing the site root, you'll get:
- Always website
- The URL to the site
- See next section
- The name of the site
- The description of the site
When sharing site content's you'll get:
- Always article
- The URL to the content
- The name of the Plone site
- See next section
- The title of the content
- The description of the content
- The publication date of the content (when present)
- The expiration date of the content (when present)
- A link to the creator's page. This will be used only when you choose to display the about info of site user's
- List of content tags
In the site control panel you can access a new configuration panel named "Open Graph sharing settings". From there you can:
- provide a custom image content to be used as og:image
- choose to use the site's logo as og:image
- enable support for content images, this mean that content types with image field will be able to provide that image instead of a global ones. Also supported collective.contentleadimage
- Plone 3.3
- Plone 4.2
- Plone 4.3
There's another Plone package: that will give you Open Graph support: collective.opengraph
[X] Unit tests
[X] End-user documentation
[ ] Internal documentation (documentation, interfaces, etc.)
[X] Existed and maintained for at least 6 months
[X] Installs and uninstalls cleanly
[ ] Code structure follows best practice
Released Jul 05, 2013 — tested with Plone 4.3, Plone 4.2, Plone 4.1, Plone 4, Plone 3
More about this release…
- Get collective.fbshare for all platforms
- If you are using Plone 3.2 or higher, you probably want to install this product with buildout. See our tutorial on installing add-on products with buildout for more information.
|0.2.1||Jul 05, 2013||Minor bugfixing More about this release…||
|0.2.0||Nov 26, 2012||Better image support and bugfixes More about this release…||
|0.1.0||First public release More about this release…||