Bristol Performance Sprint 2008
[shamelessly taken from the Copenhagen sprint page last year]
This sprints aims at increasing the out of the box Plone performance. There are many approaches to this and the task calls for creativity in looking at where in the stack improvements are feasible as well as a good bit of knowledge of the internals of Zope and Plone.
An objective is also to build a benchmark suite that will allow us to compare performance under different configurations. There are a number of internal parameters that can be set in Zope that affect performance greatly (thread count, cache settings, ZEO configuration) and we'd like a quantitative way to investigate the effect of these as a foundation to investigate the effects of actual changes to the codebase.
To make sure all participants are happy and involved in the sprint we insist that all development be done in pairs. Maybe this will make some unhappy but we'll take the chance :-)
- When: The sprint takes place from December 11th - 14th (Thursday thru Sunday).
- Where: Pervasive Media Studio, Bristol, UK
- Who: The sprint is limited to 20 participants. Priority is given to those who have contributed in this area before. Sign up by typing in a comment on the OpenPlans page for the Plone Performance Sprint 2008
- Fee: There is no fee to attend. We'll try to sponsor meals and drinks during the sprint (more sponsors needed!)
- Accomodation: You must arrange for your own accomodation.
- Organization: The sprint is organized by Netsight
- Benchmarking Plone
- Page rendering
- Internal caching
- Large files
More to come. Send your ideas to Matt Hamilton (see below). Crazy ideas are welcome.
As well as the many bars and restaurants around the Bristol Harbour where we will be sprinting, we are hoping to arrange a trip to go see Concorde 216 Alpha Foxtrot, the last Concorde to have remained flying before it flew home to Filton in 2003. Concorde at Filton.
The sprint has been made possible by the following sponsors:
Matt Hamilton - email@example.com
Astra Fowden - firstname.lastname@example.org