Resetting User Passwords through Plone Interface (not ZMI)
This How-To explains the process of resetting a user password by using only they Plone -> Site Setup area. There is no need to access the Zope Management Interface to reset a password using this approach.
The Plone user/member needs to have access to the Site Setup area in Plone. This typically means having the 'Manager' role for the Plone site in question.
Your site must also have its Mail Settings setup, so that the site can send outbound emails.
Step by step
- Login to the CMS interface with your site admin (has 'Manager' role) ID and password
- Click on the Site Setup link (by default, this is in the upper-right corner)
- Click on the Users and Groups link
- Click on the 'show all' button or search for the user in question (that needs a new password) and click the 'search button'
- Replace the email address for the user whose password needs to be reset; provide a value that should receive the email with the link to the page on your site that will prompt the user for a new password
- Click on the 'apply changes' button
This will send an email out to that user's email address and that message will contain a link that the user can follow in order to reset their password.
You can at any time, set the email address to your own (administrator) address and have thatreset email go to you, so that you are the one setting the password and will have control over it, but it's then up to you to communicate this new password to the user in question.