Displaying only published items in folder listings to anonymous users.
By default in Plone, if you create a folder and do not assign it a default page, it will display the entire contents of its folder regardless of each items state to anonymous users (users who are not logged in). Some users may not want to display visible items because technically they are drafts that are not ready to be seen.
To allow Plone’s folder listing to only display items that are published for anonymous users, you need to make a modification to the portal workflow as follows:
- In the ZMI, click on portal_workflow
- Click on the "Contents" tab on the top
- Click on plone_workflow
- Click on the “states” tab on the top
- Click on “visible”
- Click on the “Permissions” tab on the top
- Uncheck “Acquire permission settings” and “Anonymous” for the “View” Permission
- Check “Owner” or whatever other roles you would like to be able to see visible content for the “View” Permission
- Go back and click on “portal_workflow” and scroll to the bottom and click on “Update security settings”. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If you don’t do this, these settings will not take effect.