Why doesn't my Archetypes custom content type show up in Add menu?
When creating new content types, many factors can silently fail due to human errors in the complex content type setup chain and security limitations. The effect is that you don't see your content type in Add drop down menu. Here are tips for debugging.
- Is your product broken due to Python import time errors? Check Zope Management Interface -> Cotrol panel -> Products. Turn on Zope debugging mode to trace import errors.
- Have you rerun the quick installer (GenericSetup) after creating/modifying the content type?
- Do you have a correct Add permission for the product? Check __init__.py ContentInit() call.
- Does it show up in the portal factory? Check ZMI -> portal_factory and factorytool.xml.
- Is it corretly registered as a portal type and implictly addable? Check ZMI -> portal_types. Check default/profiles/type/yourtype.xml
- Does it have correct product name defined? Check ZMI -> portal_types.
- Does it have a proper factory method? Check ZMI -> types_tool. Check Zope logs for _queryFactory and import errors.
- Does it register itself with Archetypes? Check ZMI -> archetypes_tool. Make sure that you have ContentInit properly run in your __init__.py. Make sure that all modules having Archetypes content types defined and registerType() call are imported in __init__py.